The Nigeria Institute of Animal Science (NIAS) has opened six new offices across the country’s geopolitical zones to make a total of twelve offices.
In a release made available to Livestonews, the Registrar of NIAS, professor Eaustace Iyayi announced that the new offices which has taken off effective from 1st February 2021 are located as follows;
- North East Zone 2 (Bauchi, Gombe and Taraba States). Zonal Office: Gombe
- North Central Zone 2 (Nassarawa, Benue and Plateau States). Zonal Office: Makurdi
- South West Zone 2, (Osun, Ondo and Ekiti States). Zonal Office: Akure
- South South Zone 2, (Bayelsa, Edo and Delta States). Zonal Office: Benin City
- South East Zone 2 ( Anambra, Ebonyi and Enugu States). Zonal Office: Abakaliki
- North West Zone 2 (Zamfara, Sokoto and Kebbi states) Zonal Office: Sokoto.
The new zonal offices joined the existing ones in Ibadan, Owerri, Lokoja, Maiduguri, Portharcourt and Kaduna. The release further stated that the Executive Governors of the states where the new Zonal Offices were located (except Sokoto state) have approved befitting offices for the Institute which the Institute had already taken possession and her staff are settling down for business. The Institute looks forward to the confirmation of a befitting office for the Sokoto zone by His Excellency, the Executive Governor of Sokoto State, so that operations could start from that end without further delay. The Institute expressed her appreciation to His Excellencies the Governors for their kind approvals.
It would be recalled that NIAS in 2020 secured a number of federal gazettes which empowers her to carry out her mandates. Such gazettes includes the; regulation of breeder farms, hatchery and dayold chicks businesses; regulation of feedmill and feed premises; regulations of animal science practises, among others. It is hoped that the new offices will facilitate the agency to carry out her responsibilities effectively in these zones. LIVESTONEWS.