The African Chicken Genetic Gains Program (ACGG) is an Africa-wide collaboration led by the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) and isimplemented in Nigeria by the ObafemiAwolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State (https://africacgg.net/). The vision of ACGG is to transform smallholder chicken production into commercially viable enterprise with active private sector engagement.
ACGG has in the past 4 years introduced and tested 6 improved dual purpose (i.e. egg and meat) chicken breeds with 2,100 farmers across 5 agro-ecological zones (Kebbi, Nasarawa, Kwara, Imo and Rivers states). The outcome of that test was the identification of 3 farmer-preferred breeds namely: Sasso, FUNAAB Alpha and Noiler.
ACGG is hereby calling on all poultry farms interested in offering brooding services (i.e. Mother units- MU) for the supply of 6-weeks old started chicks of the highly producing chicken breeds to smallholder poultry farmers throughout Nigeria.
- Poultry farms with at least 5 years experience.
- Strong interest in serving poultry producers of small flocks (5-50 birds).
- A minimum of 1,000 DOC capacity brooder house.
- Facilities on the farm (Include relevant pictures).
- Staff strength (Animal scientists, veterinarians and workers).
- Biosecurity measures.
- Number of farmers patronizing the farm.
- Previous brooding records (At least two cycles).
- Financing options for DOC(Credit at single digit interest rate).
- Free technical training for 1 supervisor and 2 workers each.
- Regular market information for started chicks (i.e. 6 weeks old).
- Guaranteed off-take of market birds from the MU’s network of smallholders.
- Free registration in the Smallholder Poultry Forum (A national innovation platform for smallholder poultry producers).
Interested farms are to submit an expression of interest by email to email@example.com, latest by 31st August, 2019. For enquiries call: 09086544205.