By Dr Baba Wageti
Below are important things to note when vaccinating your birds.
1) STORAGE AND TRANSPORT: Buy your vaccine from reliable and reputable Vet shop which has refrigeration facilities. Live vaccines are normally stored at a temperature of +2 to +8 c. They should neither be frozen in a freezer nor stored above +8c. When transporting, the same temperature should be maintain on the farm. Transportation in a flask with ice cubes is good.
2) EXPIRING DATE : Check the expiry date on the vaccine vial before purchase.
3) DON’T VACCINATE SICK BIRDS: The immune system of a sick bird is weak, and cannot satisfactorily withstand a vaccine, let alone develop immunity against the disease. VACCINATION OF A SICK BIRD CAN PRECIPITATE THE DISEASE IT IS INTENDED TO PREVENT. Sick birds should be therefore be allowed to recover before vaccination.
4) Vaccines administered via drinking water should be opened under the water into which it is to be mixed. This is because vaccines are normally vaccum sealed. When opened in the air they may draw contaminated air into the container or the vial.
5) Wherever necessary, deworm animals at least one week prior to vaccination.
6) Do not vaccinate under high temperature as it affect vaccine potency. Vaccination should be carried out during the cooler periods of the day. Heat sources in brooder house may be temporarily turned off except when the weather is too cold.
7) AVOID STRESS DURING VACCINATION: Stress is a well documented and proven immuno-suppressant. During stress the plasma corticosteroid level increases significantly, which result in a severe protein catabolism (break down of protein), resulting in reduced protection of antibodies in the body (poor antibody titres). Always use Multiple Vitamins before and after any vaccination.
8) FEED: Feed also play a very important role directly or indirectly in the development of immunity. Birds fed with well balanced diet will respond better. Feed should be analyzed from time to time for the presence of mycotoxins.
9) For administration of the correct dose ACTUAL WATER consumption must be known.
10) Supply sufficient drinkers and even distribution of the drinkers
11) Discontinued and stop the use of any medications at least 48 hours before the vaccination.
12) Try to use the vaccines as soon as possible the vaccines are reconstituted, delay may lead to decrease in the titre. Time and sequence of vaccination should be accurate.
13) Left over vaccine must be properly buried.
14) USE OF SKIMMED MILK OR COLORED WATER STABILIZER: Farmers should avoid used of any powder milk during vaccination. Any powder milk apart from skimmed milk contained 9 – 10 % fat, and this fat aggregates on or near the surface of the container (due to light weight of the fat) where vaccine is mixed, leading to the development of different concentration zones of the vaccine in the container.
15) After adding the SKIMMED milk or STABILIZER, wait 10 minutes for complete chlorine neutralization before opening the Vail’s of the vaccine under the surface of the water.
16) Move quietly in the house to encourage the birds to drink
17) Trained and skilled vaccinators are essential to administer the vaccine. Untrained persons handling may result in wastage, improper dosage of vaccine and some birds may remain unvaccinated.
NB: Human factor is a key factor and can make the difference between success and failure. Also consult your VET.DOCTOR.
” THE GAP BETWEEN THE FLOUR AND THE CAKE IS THE SAME AS THAT BETWEEN THE VACCINE AND PROTECTION. IT TAKES A GOOD COOK TO BAKE A TASTY CAKE”
DR. BABA WAGETI, Adamore Nig.Ltd
All Rights Reserved. All materials from Livestonews can be reproduced, published, broadcasted, redristributed and shared in whole or in part only with due acknowledgement / reference of Livestonews as the source.